Sunday 28 September 2014

I Do Not Like It, Sam I Am

"I like my martinis NEAT and TIDY. And at 8am."
I'm walking down an aisle in the grocery store when I get it into my head that I really want to make lemon poppy seed bread. I'm sure, it being September, that most of the world is excited to be eating all things pumpkin, but right now I have a hankering for lemon.

I plunk two boxes of lemon poppy seed mix into the cart and continue on our way.

Don't judge me because I didn't run and get lemons and poppies to make the bread. I retired "Mary Poppins" version of me when I went back to work, and now we're left with a more-sober-than-Mary-yet-non-smoking "Peg Bundy" me in the house.  Kiss it.
Non-smoking, yet giddy. This must be TV.

So, here I am, weeks later, thinking about making some lemon poppy seed bread.  I still want lemony goodness, but also, because my kiddos have hot lunch at school (!!) I haven't grocery shopped since that day, and frankly, there isn't much left in the house.  

Lemon poppy seed bread it is.

I put the whatever it calls for in, stir it up, and put it in to cook.  Meanwhile, I head over to Kiddo #2's play date to pick him up. 

When we get home, the bread is done. I pull it out of the oven to cool and Kiddo #2 runs in.  

Kiddo #2: Mom! Is that banana bread?
Me: No. It's lemon poppy seed bread.
Kiddo #2: I don't like lemon poppy seed bread. (whining sounds)
Me: Ok.

He leaves, gets his scooter and begins scooting through the house.  I probably shouldn't allow that, but Peggy Bundy Me is just glad he's not underfoot, so it's allowed.

I slice up some of the bread.  Kiddo #2 reappears.  

Kiddo #2: Mom! Is that the bread with bananas in it?
Me: Nope. Still lemon poppy seed. Would you like some?
Kiddo #2: Awww! Why isn't it banana bread?
Me: I guess because I didn't make banana bread.
Kiddo #2: Why not?!

He leaves on his scooter and scoots another three laps.  I put on a pot of water to make corn on the cob.  And Kiddo #2 reappears.  

Kiddo #2: Mom. Are we having corn for supper?
Me: Yes.
Kiddo #2:  I would like some corn.
Me: Good. Because it's about to start cooking.
Kiddo #2:  Can I have a snack?
Me: Sure. Would you like some lemon poppy seed bread?
Kiddo #2:  No. Unless it's banana bread? Is it banana bread?
Me: Nuh-uh. Sorry kiddo.

He scoots to the living room and begins playing with his Lego.  I'm not sure what's he's building, but he's also singing "King of the Brothers." That, by the way, is a song he invented that sorta sounds like "The Story of My Life" by One Direction, but it's not quite, and it's all "ooh-wah" and never starts or ends. Like a circle, but cuter, and frankly, it makes my heart happy.

So he's singing "King of the Brothers" and assembling Lego when he stops and reappears in the kitchen.

Kiddo #2:  Mom. I'm hungry.  Could we pretend that it's banana bread?
Me: Uh. Ok?
Kiddo #2:  Ok then. I'd like some banana bread, please.
Me:  Ok.
Kiddo #2: Thanks, Mom.

Sure. Ok. It's cool to be four years-old.

I watched him munch his bread, carefully taking reasonable bites, chewing slowly and swallowing.  He took his time to really assess whether this "banana bread" was worth faking it for or not. 

Kiddo #2:  Hey. This doesn't taste like bananas.
Me: Uh? That's cuz it's lemon poppy seed bread.
Kiddo #2:  Really? Because it's pretty good.
Me:  Oh! That's good.
Kiddo #2: What's this stuff again?
Me: Lemon poppy seed bread.
Kiddo #2: Wow! You should make this all the time.






It's like living with Dr. Seuss.




No comments:

Post a Comment